Form I-131 Explained

Form I-131

What is Form i-131?

Certain people can apply for a Reentry Permit, Refugee Travel Document, or Advance Parole using Form I-131, Application for Travel Document.

Before traveling abroad, many non-US citizens must file Form I-131 with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The travel document essentially serves to defend the individual's ability to reenter the United States.

The I-131 is not the same as the I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation). After losing a green card or reentry permit while traveling outside the United States, permanent residents utilize Form I-131A to get travel authorisation.

Reentry Permit

A Reentry Permit is useful for lawful permanent residents who plan to spend a significant amount of time outside the United States but plan to return. A permanent resident can usually use their green card to reenter the US after traveling overseas. If the absence is for one year or more, the green card is considered abandoned. A Reentry Permit can help you avoid this situation.

Refugee Travel Document

In order to return to the United States, someone with refugee or asylum status needs a Refugee Travel Document. In most situations, a refugee or asylee can travel without a passport by using the Refugee Travel Document. The Refugee Travel Document resembles a passport in appearance.

Advance Parole

Advance Parole can be used by those with other immigration statuses to reenter the United States after vacationing abroad. Adjustment of status applications, temporary protected status, U visas, and people who have been granted LIFE Act Family Unity Program benefits are all possible candidates for Advance Parole.


  • Related Content

What is an Alien Registration Number, and where to find it?

What is the definition of an Advance Parole Document?
How do I seek expedited travel document processing?
What is the Application for Travel Document, Form I-131?
What is the definition of a refugee travel document?