Form I-90 Explained

Form I-90 Explained

What is Form I-90?

The official "Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card" is Form I-90. There are numerous applications for the form. You submit it to US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to renew your green card, which has expired or is about to expire. You can also use it to replace a green card that has been lost, stolen, or damaged.


Beginning in January 2021, if you are applying to renew your Green Card, your Form I-90 receipt notice (also known as  Form I-797) will say the following and can be used with your expired Green Card as evidence of your lawful permanent resident status:

Who needs to file Form I-90?

To renew or replace a permanent resident card, you'll need to complete Form I-90, or the "Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card" (or green card). If your 10-year green card has expired or will expire within the next six months, you should file Form I-90. If you are a permanent resident and your green card has been lost, stolen, damaged, or destroyed, you must also file Form I-90. If US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issued but never sent you your card, or if you have a card that is mutilated or includes erroneous data, you should file Form I-90.

You should also file Form I-90 if you have lawfully changed your name or other biographical information since USCIS granted your green card. Permanent residents who have reached the age of 14 and are applying for a card should also fill out Form I-90.

Who doesn't need to file Form I-90?

To acquire a green card replacement, not all permanent residents should file Form I-90. If you're a conditional permanent resident, your status will expire two years after it was issued, you'll have to go through a new replacement process. You will be replacing your card with a "permanent" green card good for 10-year renewable periods instead of completing Form I-90.


By "removing the conditions" from your green card, you can do so. You'll be filing Form I-751, or the "Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence," if you have a conditional marriage green card. Instead, you'll file Form I-829, or the "Petition by Investor to Remove Conditions on Permanent Resident Status," if you have a green card due to an investment in a U.S. business.

How to complete Form I-90

You must complete Form I-90 completely and precisely to avoid delays and rejections. If you don't know the answer to a question, type "N/A" (which means "not applicable") in the box provided. You should type "none" if your answer to a question is the number zero (0). If you're sending in Form I-90, you'll need to type or handwrite your responses in black ink.

What supporting documents should you submit with Form I-90?

The supporting documents you'll need to send with Form I-90 vary on why you're applying for a new green card. Unless one of the following applies to you, you should submit a copy of your green card as a supporting document:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services never sent you your green card (USCIS).
Your green card has been misplaced, stolen, or damaged.
USCIS transformed your immigration status to a green card holder for some persons, such as "Special Agricultural Workers."

What happens after you submit Form I-90?

When US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) receives your Form I-90 green card renewal or replacement application, they will notify you by mail and through your USCIS online account of any modifications.

  • A letter from USCIS acknowledging receipt and acceptance of your application. A receipt notice is what it's called.

  • USCIS will send you a biometrics appointment letter one to two weeks after they receive your application. This letter will include a date and time for your biometrics appointment, during which USCIS will take your fingerprints, photograph, and signature.

  • If relevant, a letter of Request for Evidence (RFE). To assess your application, USCIS may demand more evidence or documents. You must reply to an RFE and submit the relevant materials by the deadline specified in the letter.

  • A letter informing you whether your Form I-90 was approved or denied.

USCIS may approve your request once they have all of the information and papers they need to process your application. If granted, your new green card should arrive within 1.5 to a year for renewals and 5.5 to 13.5 months for replacements. The length of your wait will be determined by your circumstances, location, and the caseload at the USCIS office.

You can use USCIS's Monitor Status Online service to check the status of your I-90 application at any time during the process. You'll need to enter your 13-character receipt number to check your status (found in the USCIS receipt notice). Make sure to include the asterisk (*) but not the dash symbol when entering your receipt number (-).


It can be difficult to renew or replace your green card, but consulting with an experienced immigration attorney can help. We may be able to assist you if you cannot afford attorney expenses and do not want to handle your renewal or replacement application on your own. We will guide you through the process and assist you in preparing and submitting your application to the US government. Click "Get Started" to see how we may assist you in realizing your American dream!